Engineers are key players in developing new products and processes and optimising the efficient use of capital in industrial management. Master of Engineering in Management (MEM) produces engineering, science and related graduates who go on to be entrepreneurs and senior management in international industry. The programme, now more than 20 years old, offers a superior education in managing technology integrated with business values.
The MEM is professional in content and is taught from the perspective of a business manager. Many lecturers are drawn from industry. Teaching methods combine case studies, quantitative analysis and simulation with a teamwork-based approach and real-life scenarios developed.
Our programme is endorsed by IPENZ (Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand) and was voted the best and most comprehensive Engineering Management course in Australasia by ACEME (Australasian Conference of Engineering Management Educators).
Master of Engineering in Management (MEM) – Entry Requirement
Prerequisites for entry
To enter UC’s MEM programme, you need to have:
Graduated with a four-year (Honours equivalent) degree in Engineering or Science with or without a postgraduate diploma. Applicants without a degree in one of these areas can still apply for admission but this will be subject to special consideration by the MEM Director and the Dean of Engineering. Relevance and standard of undergraduate studies are the main criteria for approval.
Applicants without an undergraduate degree (such as NZCE or equivalent) must apply in the first instance for consideration based on industry experience.
New Zealand applicants: None required. Recent graduates are ideally suited to this qualification.
International applicants: At least two years’ work experience with a maximum of six years. After that, the MBA may be an option.
Excellent English language communication skills. Applicants who speak English as a second language will be required to produce evidence that their ability to communicate in English is of a high standard (IELTS or equivalent at 6.5 with no band score less than 6.0).
How to Apply?
You will need:
- A completed application for admission to UC
- A completed application form
- Certified copies of your previous academic documents, including transcripts and degree/graduation certificates
- Certified copy of your identity document, such as the personal details page of your passport, or your birth certificate (if this is your first enrolment at UC)
- A cover letter explaining why you want to study the MEM, what you will bring to the programme, how it will contribute to your career
- A CV including information about leadership roles (school, university, community), sporting and community involvement and hobbies
- Three references (from academic, community, cultural, employment or other)
If you have previously been enrolled at the University of Canterbury, then we will already have your admission information and identity documents on record.